- Lifestyle - House Music - Informed Opinion - Smut -

- Lifestyle - House Music - Informed Opinion - Smut -

Saturday, September 25, 2010

I Had A Dream I Was Falling Through a Hole In The Ozone Layer

I remember the first time I heard the band Dee Lite - I was sitting on my bed watching MTV; it was in early 1990. The music video I saw was for the song "Groove is in the Heart.” The next day, I made my way to Tower Records and purchased their debut album, World Clique. A couple of years later, in 1992, Dee Lite released their sophomore works, entitled Infinity Within. Out of many songs I liked, there was one song in particular which I connected with instantly: "I Had a Dream I Was Falling through a Hole in the Ozone Layer", which is a song that calls for all people to be environmentally and socially responsible as well as politically active. Fast forward nineteen years, to the stark environmental reality that looms over mankind. Despite the current positive social and political shifts in our country, the planet's future is still in question. Because of this, I have become more involved in social and environmentally conscious groups and political action committees. The song "I Had a Dream I Was Falling through a Hole in the Ozone Layer" had a profound impression on me. I took from its message a sense of personal responsibility; that I could do something for the good of humanity. I choose “I Had a Dream I Was Falling Through a Hole in the Ozone Layer” as my theme song because it taught me that individual acts like reducing energy consumption, recycling, and becoming politically involved play a small, yet vital role in preserving the world.

In the summer of 2008, the national debate over energy consumption reached fever pitch. As gas prices hit over $4 dollars a gallon I was reminded of the vow I made never to own another car because of the costs associated with it, after totaling mine seven years earlier. Also with the 2008 presidential campaign in full swing, one major issue was our country's addiction to foreign oil. In "I Had a Dream I Was Falling through a Hole in the Ozone Layer"; Lady Miss Kier sings about "Electric cars and solar tv's / Organic foods the things that we need" (line 30-31). To me, it is rather timely that when the American auto industry is all but bankrupt, electric cars and solar energy are concepts now being touted as new ideas when, in fact, during the energy crises of the 1970's, General Motors was rumored to be working on manufacturing an electric automobile; also, solar energy advancements began around that time. Unfortunately, when the oil embargo ended and gas prices fell back down, the American people went back to consuming oil at a faster pace than before the crisis; remaining that way ever since, leaving solar power and the electric car a figment of the county's collective imagination.

Another example of wasteful energy consumption I see is the process of spraying crops with pesticides and unnatural fertilizer. The energy needed to make and distribute those products is very costly to the earth’s health and my health. I try very hard to eat as much organic food as possible; I also eat as much locally grown produce as well. I do this to keep the amount of unnatural chemicals and wasteful energy practices out of my food supply. Keeping this in mind, I was struck by the lines "We breathe the future and yet we're choking / We breathe the future and we start to choke / I see a factory blowing purple smoke" (20-22), because of the implications. I live at a time in history when carbon dioxide is heating the planet up, so I am proud of what steps I've taken to decrease my use of energy.

The amount of products I consume and recycle on a daily basis simply amazes me. Astonishing amounts of plastic, glass and paper cross through my fingers annually. With that in mind it is clear to see why recycling is so important to America and the global community. I identify with the second verse, "When you slurp your Slurpee in a Dixie cup / Always pick every piece of litter up / Recycle can, paper and plastic / Call your politicians, ask for it" (6-9). First, I love Slurpee's, enough said! Second, I have called my local politicians demanding a simpler way to recycle in the city of Baltimore. Others did so as well, and in 2008 Mayor Sheila Dixon implemented what is called the "single stream" recycle system. Prior to the new policy, residents who wanted to participate in the recycling program had to sort the material themselves. The old policy made it confusing and frustrating for me, so complaints were commonplace. However, by flexing some political muscle, the residents of Baltimore city put pressure on our elected officials to do better. Also, I have adapted to the recycling imperfections at my workplace. My office building has eight levels and staffs over 300 people, so I can imagine all the product waste we collectively produce. I was excited to find out a new recycling program was being set up. However, the recycling service leaves much to be desired; only recycling aluminum cans and newspapers, leaving out plastic and glass products entirely. So I take it upon myself to rinse and keep all recyclable plastic and glass in a bag at my cubicle; until I take it home to recycle. I have let my voice be heard at work as well, and management is going to review the recycling policy and make the necessary adjustments.

As I reach the age of 30, political activism has become a part of who I am and how I identify. In fact, 12 years ago I could care less about who the President was and cared more about getting high and having fun. Much like in the line "So if you live you life in a hurry / Remember what goes on after your buried" (10-11), I was living the fast life not caring about what happened after I died. So when I heard, "Cause’ years after years after years after years after years after years after years after you’re gone / This old world has to keep on" (12-13), those lines are noteworthy because I realized that life will go on after me and that somehow I am not the center of the universe. As I have kept up with current events, I see how politics shapes how I view the world. Take the case of the auto industry, where policy makers decided to heavily promote the automobile and put public transportation in the "rear-view mirror.” Because cars offered convenience, over time funding for mass transit decreased dramatically. Due to this, I find the notion that "Convenience is the enemy" (35) resonates with me. I have refused to allow convenience to trump practicality in my life. An example is I take the steps in my office building instead of using the elevators. Another line "So make demands / Demands in the world you would like to see" (33-34), really underlines my approach to life. Because I ride public transportation frequently, I advocate for improved mass transit in the city of Baltimore.

The roots to my understanding on social, environmental and political issues can be tied to the song "I Had a Dream I Was Falling through a Hole in the Ozone Layer". My early exposure to such important issues through the medium of music only furthered my desire to live healthily and love and preserve life and the earth - it's the only one we have. My favorite line in the song is the chorus: "Keep the hope spinning / Keep the hope spinning the globe" (chorus) just as Barack Obama’s message of hope inspired a nation to elect it’s first African American President, Dee Lite's message in I Had a Dream I Was Falling through a Hole in the Ozone Layer inspired me to become an active citizen. Today, I still listen to Dee Lite's music, and Infinity Within is still my favorite album of the group. They are and always will be one of my favorite bands of the early 90's.

No comments:

Post a Comment